I found this by chance in an article that mentioned Martin Luther King, Jr., posted by his daughter, Bernice on her Facebook page “Be a King”. I am passing it along as a word to the wise.
- 1. Use his name sparingly so as not to detract from the issues. I believe that everyone, regardless of their beliefs, deserves the dignity of being called by their name. However, this is a strategic tactic. While we are so focused on him we are prone to neglect the questionable policies that threaten freedom, justice and fairness advanced by the administration.
- 2. Remember this is a regime and he’s not acting alone;
- 3. Do not argue with those who support him and his policies–it doesn’t work;
- 4. Focus on his policies, not his appearance and mental state;
- 5. Keep your message positive; those who oppose peace and justice want the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow;
- 6. No more helpless/hopeless talk;
- 7. Support artists and the arts;
- 8. Be careful not to spread fake news. Check it;
- 9. Take care of yourselves; and
- 10. Resist!
Keep demonstrations peaceful. In the words of John Lennon, “When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight! Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.”
When you post or talk about him, don’t assign his actions to him, assign them to “The Republican Administration,” or “The Republicans.” This will have several effects: the Republican legislators will either have to take responsibility for their association with him or stand up for what some of them don’t like; he will not get the focus of attention he craves; Republican representatives will become very concerned about their re-elections.
We are living in dangerous times. We have a narcissistic, xenophobic, sexist, Hitler wannabe in the highest office in the land, put there by people who swallowed his lies hook, line and sinker. He does not have the best interests of the country at heart; just his own bloated self importance. He shoots down people who disagree with him; he trots out people to spew so called “facts” which are lies and half truths; he puts unqualified and inappropriate people in positions of power; he is not, I repeat, NOT making America great again. It was already great. He’s alienated our allies and crawled into bed with the likes of Putin and Erdogan. Personally, I think he’s bordering on insanity and should be removed from office
But that’s just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.